I read this somewhere, hopefully somebody else will benefit from reading this. Hope this may give some info in getting pregnant…
Many couples decide to have a baby and set to work only with that idea in mind. Some achieve their goal in a satisfactory timeline. Yet other couples try for months and are disappointed when it becomes obvious when her period starts that their efforts did not achieve fruition. Sometimes, repeated failure is caused by many different factors including ignorance in human reproduction. Here are a few great tips to aid you in your baby dreams.
- RELAX!!! The simplest suggestion sometimes seems like the most impossible when your hopes have been raised and dashed for months at a time. Studies have shown that stress can complicate fertility issues for both men and women. To aid in removing or lowering stress levels, consider joining a support group for couple who are having fertility issues. Negative thoughts such as, “I will never have a baby” should be deliberately replaced with more positive ideas. Yoga and breathing techniques are an excellent way to cope with daily stressors.
- Learn your menstrual cycle. Knowing when you are about to ovulate is the key factor in knowing when to have sex. There are many wonderful techniques and products designed to pinpoint ovulation.
- If you or your partner is smoking, drinking, or using illegal substances then you should quit now. Not only is it very unhealthy for an unborn child, these habits have also been show to have a negative effect on fertility in men and women.
- Practice sexual positions that are more likely to help sperm swim up the vagina. The missionary position seems to be most helpful in this situation. Avoid any positions that have you sitting, standing, straddling, or on top of your partner.
- Putting a pillow under your hips during sex or allows the sperm extra time to travel to the cervix. Make sure the pillow does not prop your hips to high, or the sperm may end up sitting behind the cervix.
- If your cervix is tipped or tilted, making love with your partner behind you may allow sperm a better opportunity to reach the cervix.
- Make love in the early morning or afternoon. Sperm levels are often highest in the mornings.
- Enjoy the lovemaking process. Studies show that when women orgasm, it creates an alkaline state in the vagina that sperm prefer over the normal acid conditions. If you have an orgasm at the same time or shortly after your partner ejaculates, it increases the opportunity for sperm to survive the trip to the cervix.
- Your partner should avoid overheating or constricting his testicles. Some studies have shown that sperm counts drop when men wear tight pants or underwear. He should also avoid saunas and hot tubs.
- According to an Environmental Health Services study, the more sex you have, the greater your chances of becoming pregnant. But don’t have so much sex that you begin to dread having it. Sex should be enjoyable for both parties.
- If you have recently discontinued hormonal birth control, it may take at least a month before your body regulates itself. If you have discontinued the Depo Provera shot, it may take up to six months or a year before the body begins to regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Robitussin has an active ingredient known as guaifenesin that has been shown to have thinning effect on cervical mucous. This can be helpful to women who have abnormal ovulation, but not for women whose ovulation is on schedule.
- Cut back on dairy products. A sugar found in milk known as galactose has been proven harmful to function of ovaries. Some women do not have normal amounts of the enzyme needed to break up galactose causing it to build up to dangerous levels in the body. It is recommended that you skip milk, ice cream, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Other foods that offer calcium are green leafy vegetables, beans, enriched flour, and fortified juices. If necessary, calcium supplements may be added.
- Exercise regularly, but do not take it extremes.
- A healthy diet is essential. Make sure your body is getting the proper nutrients that will keep it in top performance. Increase your fiber intake and try to limit animal products and vegetable oils as these foods affect estrogen levels.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about any prescription medications you are taking. It is possible they may affect your ability to conceive.
The great news if you have just begun your journey towards parenthood is that 85% of couples conceive within the first year. Hopefully, these pointers will help you conceive your own bundle of joy. Good luck!