My first attempt with Windows Server 2012

I was able to get a license for Windows Server 2012 from Website Park. So I tried it on my home server. The installation was fairly quick. I was never a fan of the Metro UI but I had to surpass my dislikes if I wanted to try the new server OS. With SSD and 8GB of ram, the OS was very responsive. The look and feel is more elegant compared to Windows Server 2008. It even recognized my Adaptec 6805 raid card during the installation – odd that Server 2008 didn’t.

So far the dashboard window is very helpful. It’s a window that has links to many of the common settings and configurations. I’ve also noticed that I didn’t have to install additional software from Intel so that my NIC cards can be teamed. Windows has a built-in teaming interface now. It even allows me to use a different brand of NIC (onboard NIC is a Realtek) along with my 2x Intel NICs – but I won’t. The task manager is more detailed as well. That’s all that I’ve noticed so far because I ran into a problem afterwards.

I started to install some drivers for components (USB3.0, Intel stuff, etc) though I didn’t need to based on the device manager recognizing everything. Then I enabled Hyper-V. This required a restart. Well this is what I saw after the restart.

wpid-IMG_20121016_225356

I never got in anymore. I’m not sure if the drivers I used to install for the components did this or if it was enabling Hyper-V. I was able to get in safe mode. I tried to uninstall the newly installed drivers/software for the components and disable Hyper-V but it wouldn’t let me. I don’t know too much about Windows since I’ve been using Apple for some time now and it was getting late, so I gave up and put Windows Server 2008 again. I will be trying again soon and hope to figure out what had happened. There are some features I’ve been wanting to try like storage pool, ReFS, Hyper-V and trim support, and supposedly overall management is more efficient and easier – we’ll see.

Windows 2008 and MSSQL Server 2005 not allowing remote connections

If you think you checked every setting in MSSQL Server that allows remote connections, you may have missed the Windows firewall setting. I have installed MSSQL 2005 many times on Windows 2000 Server, 2003, and 2008 and never ran into the remote connection problem. What’s happening is I’m unable to connection using the Management Studio on another machine into the server.

  • Checked the Configuration Tools/SQL Server Configuration Manager
  • Checked SQL Browser service is running
  • Pinged the IP address
  • Checked the Surface Area Configurations and made sure it allowed local and remote connections using TCP/IP only

It turns out that Windows firewall didn’t add MSSQL to the exceptions list. So here’s how you do it. Run firewall.cpl to bring up the Windows Firewall settings. On the left click on “Allow a program through Windows Firewall”. Make sure you are on the “Exceptions” tab and click on “Add program…”. If it’s not on the list, browse for the sqlservr.exe. You will find this in [INSTALL_DIR]MSSQL.1MSSQLBinnsqlservr.exe.

I never had this issue before. Not sure what caused it. Maybe Windows 2008 SP2. The versions I’m using are Windows Server 2008 RC2 and MSSQL Server 2005 Standard.

Getting include files to work on Windows 2003

I recently been playing around with Windows 2003 because we are still running Windows 2000 Server at work and may be upgrading soon. Our ASP pages are using includes to our database connection page…

<!–#include file="some_folder/db_connection_file.asp" >

If you were to run a page with that code on a Windows 2003 server, you may get an error similar to…

Active Server Pages error ASP 0131
Disallowed Parent Path

To fix this error, I had to do the following:

  1. Create a new virtual directory of the folder that contains the files. We’ll call the virtual directory “example”.
  2. Update the include syntax to use virtual instead. So you’ll have something like
    <! #include virtual=example/some_folder/db_connection_file.asp >
    

You may get this error with javascripts as well if you have something like…

<script language=javascript src="../some_folder/my_script.js"></script>

You should update that syntax to something like…

<script language=javascript src=/example/some_folder/my_script.js></script>

I’m not a big Windows user anymore so I don’t know why it has to be done this way or know of a setting so that the old method still works. But those are the 2 changes I had to make on some of our websites to make them compatible with Windows 2003.